Tuesday 17 January 2017

Art at The Orchard interview with Fenland photographer Katey Jane Andrews



We're delighted that photographer Katey Jane Andrews has agreed to do a little interview for the blog, she's exhibiting a selection of her photography here at The Orchard Tea Room, Wisbech during January 2017.

Katey please tell us about your work? What are you currently working on?

Being a wide subject photographer this may be tricky to answer, my nature is just a childhood interest, stemming from watching David attenborough  too much, in wildlife it's showing the beauty, power and struggles it goes through, spend many hours in nature so have seen many interesting things. with macro it's the stunning detail from insects through to fungi which may be the hardest of subjects due to their locations.

Landscapes and countryside are mostly just taken on trips out on wildlife hunts with a major interest in weather photography, from storms to flooding, to show the true power of nature. Often you will hear people state landscape photography is near impossible to shoot  in the Fens or around Bedfordshire but with me i,m able to pick out places many may not see, using long lenses and a tighter depth of field helps for more interest, I often say to others go try it.

Along with those subjects, architecture, farming and shipping, all my work is down to weather conditions, I look for certain conditions, in Fenland landscapes, it's either moody weather or the more morning lighting, any other can look too bland.

All my work comes from myself, fully self taught, that old saying of you can teach technique but you can't teach a keen eye is so true, with me I see the shot long before I hold the camera up, for a certain shot I may wait ages, for clouds over a church, will wait for the right conditions, no Photoshop used here!

people often get frustrated with me for not going to any collages or courses for having this amount of skill, I guess i'm one person who was born to do this type of work. must admit i do put lots of time and efforts in to this.

With printing, it was on my mind for a time, with digital comes the lack of image contact, so wanted home pro printing, It took around 8 months to fully get the printing to the standard I wanted, plug and play it's not!!.

At the moment i'm working on local churches, just done another shoot at Crowland Abbey and hope to be working with them for charity photography prints.

How did you decide to become a photographer?

Childhood interests, my interests put into working alongside nature seamed the right way to go, it brings all my interests together, walking, nature, photography keeping fit and being outside. been pro nearly 4 years. Started as a joke and went from there.

What's the best advise you've been given as a photographer?

None what so ever, I'm a person who loves doing things myself, working out issues my way, was told once to copy others, must of been 8 years ago, I thought never, i,m no clone.

What do you do when you are not creating?

Just a normal person with or without the camera, motorbike mad, bike racing is my thing, Moto GP, British Super bikes and the TT, loads of hobbies too, boot sales through to museums, anything that's interesting i,m there.

What are your life and work goals for the future?

Would love to be known as a natural photography who just made it her own way and prove anyone can make it. One day would like to live in a more wild place, Scotland has always interested me and may well suit my style in life.

Katey you're currently exhibiting some of your original artwork here at The Orchard where else can we find your work?

Passiflora's arts and home crafts
 3b South Street

Many thanks to Katey Jane Andrews for agreeing to be interviewed for The Orchard Tea Room and Farm Shop Blog. You can view Kate's photography daily 10am -4pm until the end of January 2017 at

The Orchard Tea Room and Farm Shop
Redmoor Lane
Wisbech
Cambs
PE14 0RN


Telephone: 07527 046184
Website: theorchardtearoom.co.uk Twitter: @OrchardTeaRoom Facebook: The Orchard Tea Room

No comments:

Post a Comment