Friday 17 July 2015

Art at The Orchard interview with July artist Sarah Madsen



We're delighted artist, illustrator and jeweller Sarah Madsen agreed to do a little interview for the blog, she's exhibiting a selection of her original artwork here at The Orchard this July.

About Sarah

Artist, Illustrator and Jeweller, Sarah Madsen attended Central Saint Martins School of Art & Design in London, England. There she gain a BA Hons Degree in Jewellery Design. The  interest in 3D Design was quite a different direction from her first love of Fine Art. The Desire to follow figurative art has been constant theme throughout her life as an artist. In 1992 the artist received a Travel Bursary from The Royal Society of British Sculptors on a Medal Design. She has also exhibited at various locations such as the Mall Galleries in London, Silvermine Art Centre in Connecticut and also at Steven Whyte Figurative Sculpture Studio in Carmel, California, USA. After 12 years living in various locations in the USA. Sarah returned to the U.K and is currently working as an Fine Artist and Jeweller.

Sarah please tell us about your work? What are you currently working on?

My work is hugely influenced by the impressionists. I gravitate towards Nature and constantly look towards all things organic. Artwise, soon to be working on a commissioned child's portrait painting on canvas. Plus Black and white Illustrations for another clients book for children. Jewellery, I currently working on a lovely  Silver Initials cufflinks commission . Otherwise building new jewellery collection...somehow have to get a tiara going soon:) Again my metalwork is inspired from plants and the natural world. I looking forward to building one off bangle in silver and 18ct Gold too.

How did you decide to become an artist?

Not sure if I "decided" as such. I always did art as a child and still have a scrap book of work from my early years. I drew on every scrap of blank paper. It never occurred to that I could "draw" until an Art teacher, ( Elani O'Hara) pointed out I could do "A"level art at the age of 13 after designing a imaginary scene for pottery class. Think my mum still has the pot..now I think of it! On her discovery of me I became the pet project and my homework was often pulled out in front of the rest of the class. How not to be popular! Seriously though I owe so much to this teacher.

What's the best advice you've been given as an artist?

Technically best advice was again given to me by Elani O'Hara...draw, measure, draw and draw. Keep sketchbooks. It all work ..talent will get you only to a certain level. Thousands of hours go into say a 1 hr sketch. As quite often we are asked how long that took to draw/paint. Any ability/ skill has the same demand, it is down to practise.

What do you do when you are not creating?

 Really exciting life here there's the paperwork, housework and keeping up with 4 children between 10- 16 years of age. I do enjoy gardening and cooking. Also going to Art/Jewellery exhibitions. I also love to travel when I can.

What are your life and work goals for the future?


To be Successful and create bespoke and limited collection of one off Jewellery designs. Eventually producing Fine Enamelled pieces. To Paint more...I really enjoy people watching and would so enjoy travel and sketching all over the globe. Life goals are really down to wishing my family stay healthy and thrives and that I can enable that.

Sarah you're exhibiting some of your original artwork here at The Orchard this July where else can we find your work?

Website Art:                       www.sarahmadsen.com 
Website Jewellery:             www.sarahmadsenjewellery.com
Facebook:                            www.facebook.com/SarahMadsenArts
Instagram:                           sarahmadsenjewellery
Pinterest                              www.pinterest.com/madsenjewellery 
Twitter:                               @madsenjewellery 

Jewellery Stockists: VKGallery,St Ives,Cambridgeshire     www.vkgallery.co.uk 
                                 
Many thanks to Sarah Madsen for agreeing to be interviewed for The Orchard Tea Room and Farm Shop Blog. You can see her art all month daily 10am -4pm at

The Orchard Tea Room and Farm Shop
Redmoor Lane
Wisbech
Cambs
PE14 0RN

Telephone: 07527 046184
Website: theorchardtearoom.co.uk Twitter: @OrchardTeaRoom Facebook: The Orchard Tea Room

No comments:

Post a Comment